Step 3: Qualifying Experience for the Examination

This step explains what experience qualifies for the contractor’s examination.

Experience Requirements

You must have at least four years of experience, in the class you are applying for, to qualify to take the examination. Credit for experience is given only for experience at a journey level or as a foreman, supervising employee, contractor, or owner-builder. These are defined as follows:

  • A journeyman is a person who has completed an apprenticeship program or is an experienced worker, not a trainee, and is fully qualified and able to perform the trade without supervision.
  • A foreman or supervisor is a person who has the knowledge and skill of a journeyman and directly supervises physical construction.
  • A contractor is a person who manages the daily activities of a construction business, including field supervision.
  • An owner-builder is a person who has the knowledge and skills of a journeyman and who performs work on his or her own property.

REMEMBER all experience claims must be verified by a qualified and responsible person, such as a homeowner, an employer, fellow employee, other journeyman, contractor, union representative, building inspector, architect, or engineer.

The person verifying your claim must have firsthand knowledge of your experience–that is, he or she must have observed the work that you have done–and must complete the experience certification portion of the application. Even if you provide a certification of your experience, be prepared to furnish documentation of any experience you claim on the application whenever such documentation is requested. The failure to provide this documentation will result in rejection of your application or denial of the license.

Educational Requirements

You do not have to meet any education requirements in order to qualify for a contractors license.

Credit for Education, Technical Training and Vocational Training

You may receive a credit of up to two years for technical training, apprenticeship training, or education toward the four years of required practical experience.

At least one year must be practical experience. You must provide written documentation of any training or education claimed in place of experience. Acceptable documentation includes copies of apprenticeship certificates and college transcripts.

The CSLB may credit training, apprenticeship, or education as follows:

  • A maximum of 1-1/2 years upon submission of transcipts of the following:
    • An A.A. degree from an accredited school or college in building or construction management.
  • A maximum of two years upon submission of transcripts of any of the following:
    • A four-year degree from an accredited college or university in the fields of accounting, business, economics, mathematics, physics, or areas related to the specific trade or craft for which application is being made;
    • A professional degree in law; or
    • Substantial college or university course work in accounting, architecture, business, construction technology, drafting, economics, engineering, mathematics, or physics.
  • A maximum of three years upon submission of any of the following:
    • A Certificate of Completion of Apprenticeship from an accredited apprenticeship program or a certified statement of completion of apprenticeship training from a union in the classification for which application is being made. (Division of Apprenticeship Standards) is an important link;
    • Submission of transcripts for a four-year degree from an accredited college or university in architecture, construction technology, or any field of engineering that is directly related to the classification for which application is being made; or
    • Submission of transcripts for a four-year degree from an accredited college or university in the field of horticulture or landscape horticulture for the Landscaping (C-27) classification.

Many community colleges and private schools offer instruction in vocational education. You can contact your local community college for information about classes. Private vocational schools should be investigated carefully before paying tuition.

Go to Next Step >>

Go to Previous Step >>

Steps For Applying For a Contractor’s License >>


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s